how to install the po translations on Android

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Tue Feb 25 16:35:41 CET 2014

On 02/25/2014 04:08 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 23:37, hans at guardianproject.info said:
>> That test there is pretty strange.  Why would libgpg-error only install its
>> translations if the PACKAGE is called "gettext-tools"?
>
> That rule is only for the gettext package itself - not needed here and
> thus the dummy command.  However, the install-data target depends on
> install-data- at USE_NLS@ and thus either the install-data-no or
> install-data-yes rules are run - depending on whether NLS has been
> enabled.  Use
>
>    grep USE_NLS config.status
>
> To see whether it has been enabled.  If you don't know why it has been
> disabled, you need to check the config.log file.   I guess that you have
> a config.site file somewhere or the envvar CONFIG_SITE pointing to such
> a file.  This is commonly used to convey options used by all packages.

So it seems to be an issue related to cross-compiling, or maybe the Android
NDK is missing some core functionality:

checking whether NLS is requested... yes
checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
checking for msgmerge... /usr/bin/msgmerge
[snip]
checking for GNU gettext in libc... no
checking for iconv... no, consider installing GNU libiconv
checking for GNU gettext in libintl... no
checking whether to use NLS... no

The gettext it is looking for is the C functions for loading the translations?
 That's my guess.  libintl is not provided by Android. It might be possible to
build the full GNU gettext for Android, but it might also be quite painful.
Another option I'm considering is using libintl-lite or related fork:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/libintl-lite/
https://github.com/j-jorge/libintl-lite

.hc