Why 2.1 is delayed for so long

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Sep 22 21:00:20 CEST 2014

On 09/22/2014 12:40 PM, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 16:26, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:
>
>> Which manual are we talking about here?  debian packages should already
>> ship the man page and the DETAILS.gz.
>
> The pdf and the info version of the texinfo files.  ("make pdf" from the
> top directory).  The man pages are extracted from the info file but they
> do not document everything as stated in each SEE ALSO section.

"info gnupg" works for me based on the debian package, and shows the
gnupg info pages.

We don't ship the PDF at the moment.  do you think it adds anything to
ship the PDF as well as the info pages?

> That seems to be stuff from the website.  I do not think this is useful

traditionally, we have shipped some data that is also available on the
web as debian packages (e.g. debian-policy) to facilitate offline work.

the main elements shipped in gnupg-doc are:

  o The GNU Privacy Handbook
  o Replacing PGP 2.x with GnuPG
  o GnuPG mini-HOWTO

Do you think that these things are not useful for people in offline
scenarios?  Should we stop shipping one or more of those references?
Are there other references that you think we should ship?

	--dkg