Beyond Curve25519

Hanno Böck hanno at hboeck.de
Fri Jan 16 10:52:55 CET 2015

On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 08:48:34 +0100
Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:

> It is likely that Curve41417 will eventually be added.  However, we
> first need to settle for a point compression format for Curve25519.
> That is more important that a stronger curve.

From my observation of curve debates it seems to me right now that
E-521 has much more support behind it than curve41417. It follows
similar criteria but has been independently discovered by three
different teams afaik. (one of the teams being bernstein/lange, so it
follows the same security criteria as curve25519/curve41417).

Likely CFRG will also choose some larger curve at some point and that
will likely be E-521 and not Curve41417.

Probably makes sense to choose E-521. Or wait with whatever cfrg comes
up.

--
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/