Beyond Curve25519

Milan Kral milan.kral at azet.sk
Mon Jan 26 08:56:41 CET 2015

On 16.01.2015 18:24, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
>> Funny... people told that as well with RSA key sizes which are
>> nowadays no longer considered enough... o.O
>
> Back in the early 1990s, a 1024-bit RSA key was believed to be unassailable.
>
> A 1024-bit key is still today considered unassailable... it just doesn't
> have anywhere near the security margin that we want.  We advise at least
> 2048-bit keys to give us a comfortable margin, not because we believe
> people are breaking 1024-bit keys.

"A 1024-bit key is still today considered unassailable" depends on how
much do you value the security of your information.

For example according to
https://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~tromer/papers/cbtwirl.pdf

"We presented a new design for a custom-
built hardware implementation of the sieving step,
which relies on algorithms that are highly tuned for
the available technology. With appropriate settings of
the NFS parameters, this design reduces the cost of
sieving to about $10M (plus a one-time cost of $20M).
Recent works [14, 9] indicate that for these NFS pa-
rameters, the cost of the matrix step is even lower."