Default configuration of pinentry in gnome3

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Jun 9 22:34:58 CEST 2015

On Mon 2015-06-08 23:31:28 -0400, Watson Sato wrote:
> Neal has mentioned that Debian uses update-alternatives to configure the
> default pinentry, would this approach be enough?

fwiw (as one of the debian developers maintaining pinentry and the gnupg
stack), i'm fine with using update-alternatives for this.  By default
pinentry-gnome3 if present will be a higher priority in pinentry-gtk2.

so in debian, i think we could handle this by having the gnome-keyring
package Depend: pinentry-gnome3, and leave it at that.

Now you have three different responses to choose from, none of which
require you to do anything in GNOME directly afaict :)

 * pinentry-wrapper (Andreas)
 * gpgconf (Werner)
 * /etc/alternatives (dkg)

          --dkg