python bindings for libassuan

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu May 7 00:05:37 CEST 2015

hey folks--

i've taken a first stab at writing python bindings for libassuan.  If
you're interested, you can look at them here:

  git clone git://lair.fifthhorseman.net/~dkg/python-assuan

the current HEAD is 2a7557d1434bbfca4100ef63720d900320b8da8a

It should build with the usual:

  setup.py build

I've targeted Python 3, and haven't bothered to try to make it work on
Python 2.x.

Currently, the only supported workflow is an assuan client connection to
a pre-existing socket.  You can do something simple like this:

----------
#!/usr/bin/env python3
import assuan.gnupg

dirmngr = assuan.gnupg.client('dirmngr')
dirmngr.transact('KEYSERVER --hosttable')
for line in dirmngr.status:
    print(line)
----------

See example.py at the top level of the repo for more details.

I've been running this test script from my amd64 machine without having
to install the new module like so:

(cd build/lib.linux-x86_64-3.4 && python3) < example.py

Feedback is welcome, as are other contributions (tuning the bindings for
a server workflow would be particularly nice).  I've licensed it
LGPL-2.1+, since that matches most of libassuan.  I could probably be
convinced by reasonable arguments to select a different license, or to
just give the bindings directly to the GnuPG project, if people want
that.

Let me know what you think,

    --dkg