removing pinentry's subdirectories from git: debian/ gtk/ qt/

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu May 14 15:36:17 CEST 2015

On Thu 2015-05-14 07:01:30 -0400, Werner Koch wrote:

> Sure debian/ should be removed.  However, in some cases I like to keep
> old directories in the repo for example if we are in the process of
> moving code.  The migration from keyserver helpers to dirmngr is such
> a case.  tags require that everything has been checked out.

yep, understood.  I don't think that we're in the middle of transferring
code from debian/, gtk/, or qt/ though, right?

> BTW, the repos are development only and do not make a proper release!

Yes, of course.  We build debian packages based on the released
tarballs.

But having a clearer/cleaner relationship between the released tarballs
and the upstream repo makes it easier for debian developers to
contribute back to upstream, and to pull narrowly-targeted changesets
from the upstream revision control if they're needed to fix identified
bugs before a new release comes out.

Speaking of new releases, thanks for all the recent work on pinentry,
Neal!  it's exciting to see that coming along.  I hope my little flood
of minor bug reports the last few days has been encouraging instead of
discouraging :)

       --dkg