running all the tests

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Aug 8 15:50:38 CEST 2017

Am Dienstag 08 August 2017 09:58:08 schrieb Werner Koch:
> I propose to add a separate configure option to run
> the extensive test suite.

FWIW: I agree that users should be able to decide how many tests to run. Many
tests are not useful to run each time. They will not find much and thus just
waste time and energy in 99,999% of cases. In my experience if a default
build setting offers too many tests, the chance is higher that people will
disable them all. The end result would be less testing than more.

> I would prefer if build systems, which are based on some kind of
> configure script, could agree on a name for enabling such tests.
> --enable-extensive-tests or --enable-all-tests might be good candidate
> names.  Thus it is up the the user to decide whether to run those tests.

Yes, it is a good idea to standardise selections and naming of different
levels of automated tests.

 A recommendation should be there, e.g. if Debian wants to do a in-depth test,
it would be okay to run this on their build servers. So the docs could say:
Packages, please run the intensive test suite at least for each release.

Best Regards,
Bernhard