Pinentry grabbing keyboard and mouse

William L. Thomson Jr. wlt-ml at o-sinc.com
Thu May 25 02:28:50 CEST 2017

I sent the below message a while back with no response. Though having
looked into the situation more. I have further relevant information.

As stated below, I am pretty sure the Qt 4 and 5, nor FLTK version of
pinentry grab the keyboard and mouse. Only the GTK one, and maybe Gnome
ones do grab keyboard and mouse.

Without going into discussion on such. There is one technical reason
why such may be the case. It is a technical reason why I feel the EFL
version of pinentry should not at this time grab keyboard or mouse.

I have to confirm, but seems grabbing keyboard and/or mouse is not
possible, and/or code exists for such when using Wayland. Which makes
such feature only X specific. That may be why Qt and/or FLTK does not
have grab support. It would not work under Wayland, only X, if both
can be supported without issue.

Regarding the EFL version of pinentry. To support X grab, requires X
specific code. Which can cause crash and issues under Wayland. Or nasty
if define conditionals. Which cannot always prevent some situations, and
still have crash/issues.  For EFL applications it is best to not use
platform specific code. It maybe running under Windows, or Apple cocoa,
in addition to X or Wayland, as an example. Not applicable to
EFL pinentry.

Either way I rather not bind EFL pinentry to X if it is not a
must. Thus for now, till at least Wayland has support for such, and an
abstract layer for both in EFL. The grab code will likely have to be
omitted from EFL pinentry. As it seems to be from QT and FLTK.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.