Pinentry grabbing keyboard and mouse

William L. Thomson Jr. wlt-ml at o-sinc.com
Fri May 26 22:04:29 CEST 2017

On Fri, 26 May 2017 13:42:59 -0400
Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> wrote:

> On Wed 2017-05-24 20:28:50 -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> > I sent the below message a while back with no response.
>
> It looks to me like Andre Heinecke responded on Tuesday, April 18th.
> Did you not get that message?

I did not receive that message. I see it in the archives though. Thank
you for mentioning! The comments seem to go inline with my thoughts and
what I experienced using the QT version for a few years.

> > As stated below, I am pretty sure the Qt 4 and 5, nor FLTK version
> > of pinentry grab the keyboard and mouse. Only the GTK one, and
> > maybe Gnome ones do grab keyboard and mouse.
>
> pinentry-gnome3 relies on gcr to do the system prompting, so takes its
> lead from that system.
>
> If your prompting system cannot grab the keyboard or mouse, then it
> makes sense to not support that feature ;)

Seems that Wayland lacks such ability to grab, or has grab API. Which
would make it an X only feature. Rather be consistent.

> pinentry-tty also does not grab the mouse, for example!
>
> if your prompting system is often used under X11, though, and the
> underlying program has asked to grab the kbd and/or mouse, then it's
> probably worthwhile to try to respect that request, if possible.

Ideally trying to make it portable between X and Wayland, without
having anything special for either.

> does that make sense?  I don't think anyone will blame you for not
> implementing something that is impossible to implement!

Sure, and it seems something that is very much personal preference.
Some prefer the blocking grab, others do not. A technical limitation
makes that easy :)

--
William L. Thomson Jr.