WKD submission without email client

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Jan 31 11:15:01 CET 2018

On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 10:57, bernhard at intevation.de said:

> just wondering today: If my email client does not yet support managing of my
> pubkeys via WKD do we somewhere have instructions or scripts to do this
> manually?

The long term idea is to have an abstract interface in gpg, for example
"gpg --publish" which takes care of publishing a key.  In the meantime
gpg-wks-client can be used on _standard_ Unix boxes; there is a man page
but the real problem is that on Windows and, according to what I have
heard, the standard sendmail wrapper is not anymore installed by default
on Linux boxes.  Thus the only way to send an email is by using a MUA
that supports publishing a key (Kmail and Enigmail right now)

> * Add a cross plattform python script that may be able to
>   be downloaded and used and works more easily.

Python is usually not available on Windows.  For Unix we could do a
standard script but that is not really better than the existing client.

> * Provide gpg-wks-client for more plattforms (backport)

It is available for all platforms, whether a distro installs it is not
our choice.

> * Add instructions for windows that are step by step

Does not work because we can't send mail from the command line.

> * Add this to Kleopatra or GpgOL to cover larger fractions of
>   users on windows.

It is possible to do this for GpgOL.  Kleopatra needs a MUA.

Shalom-Salam,