WKD submission without email client

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Jan 31 12:29:58 CET 2018

Am Mittwoch 31 Januar 2018 11:15:01 schrieb Werner Koch:
> >  If my email client does not yet support managing of
> > my pubkeys via WKD do we somewhere have instructions or scripts to do
> > this manually?
>
> The long term idea is to have an abstract interface in gpg, for example
> "gpg --publish" which takes care of publishing a key.  In the meantime
> gpg-wks-client can be used on _standard_ Unix boxes;

At first thought I believe that sending email should not be done directly
from "gpg". SMTP and the authentication to the receiving server is complex
that I see it in GnuPG on the long run.
We really need to build WKD managing into more email clients.

> > * Add a cross plattform python script that may be able to
> >   be downloaded and used and works more easily.
>
> Python is usually not available on Windows. For Unix we could do a
> standard script but that is not really better than the existing client.

The smtpclient module would be cross plattform and is part
of Python's standard library. Okay, on windows we would need to either bundle Python itself into a single binary or have users download Python.
I'd say that the step of sending the email is hard even on GNU-systems
so in case there is no sendmail or no gpg-wks-client, it would be useful to have.

An alternative would be a go implementation and a single binary
https://godoc.org/net/smtp but we would need to build one for each
hardware plattform.

> > * Provide gpg-wks-client for more plattforms (backport)
>
> It is available for all platforms, whether a distro installs it is not
> our choice.

But a practical problem for our users on these platforms.

> > * Add instructions for windows that are step by step
>
> Does not work because we can't send mail from the command line.

Maybe we'll find a way to do with with several typical windows clients like Outlook, Thunderbird, Claws..

Best,
Bernhard