What's going on?

Horacio MG hacho@crosswinds.net
Fri, 19 May 2000 22:56:48 +0200

El vie, 19 de may de 2000, a las 11:51:13 +0200, Peter Neuhaus dijo:

> there are (or will be) some new chapters:
>
> - a foreword (like "what's cryptography good for, why GnuPG?")
> - a concise chapter on legal implications (with special focus on
> germany)
> - a chapter on the GNU Privacy Assistant
> - a glossary of acronyms and technical terms used in the book
> - a bibliography (recommended books)
> - a guide to further resources on the internet
> - an index
Fine.
> - and hopefully a chapter on Mozilla/Outlook plugins
Hopefully? While I can understand it, I wish people were given the chance of building the book with/out that particular chapter.
> - a concise reference derived from the manpage
> - the GPL
As I understand it, the GPL has no real effect on any language but English. In fact, translations of the GPL usually point to the English version.
> ? an appendix on how to install GnuPG on different Platforms ?
Interesting.
> the following chapters have been dropped:
>
> - c5 (topics)
> - c6 (command reference)
> - c7 (options reference)
???
> the order and (therefore) the naming scheme have been changed:
>
> NEW OLD
>
> foreword.sgml
> concepts.sgml c2.sgml
> intro.sgml c1.sgml
> keymanag.sgml c3.sgml
> dailyuse.sgml c4.sgml
> cryptolaw.sgml
> gloss.sgml
> biblio.sgml
Really meaning here that there will be no command & options reference chapters? Surely I have misunderstood something here. I cannot believe all Unix commands and options have been dropped with no replacement for them, and instead we're getting a windoze reference.
> > If whatever has been done is going to be, sooner or later,
> > translated into English
>
> That's a good idea - as soon as the german version is in (or close to)
> a final stade. I'm looking forward to cooperate...
Cooperate? I'm afraid you will have to translate German -> English on your own. I wish I could help, "aber, haben Sie sehen mein Deutsch ist gleich null?" Seriously, I only can do the English -> Spanish bit. Anyway, just my opinion but, if the Unix Command & Option chapters won't be there anymore then I believe the "old handbook" should be allowed to stay and farther develope aside from the new one.
Please, do. Saludos, -- Horacio Anno MMDCCLIII A.U.C. hacho@crosswinds.net Valencia - ESPAŅA -------------------------------------------------------------------- Key fingerprint = F4EE AE5E 2F01 0DB3 62F2 A9F4 AD31 7093 4233 7AE6