License change for the GPH.

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Nov 4 18:20:07 CET 2013

On Mon,  4 Nov 2013 16:31, rms at gnu.org said:

> A couple of messages ago, you asked me to show "good will", but I've
> never shown you any bad will.  You are asking me to make a license
> change, and you haven't convinced me, but does that make me a dictator?

You tried to convince me to keep on using the GFDL despite that the
whole point of this discussion is that the GFDL is not suitable for our
documentation purposes.  The topic is “Please agree to license change” and
not “We want to discuss which license is better”.

During the lengthy discussions we have had at the gpd list for about two
years, you quite clearly stated that you are the only one to decide and
that for certain topics there will be no room for any discussion - not
even at the internal GNU lists.

> If we disagree about the right license to use, or the best way to
> resolve a certain question, does it have to mean hostility?

Well, you may feel like being treated hostile but so are the authors
whom you refuse to grant the simple favor of changing to a different
copyleft license.  I do not want to repeat a discussion which is as old
as the GFDL and which outcome has almost always (except for Wikipedia)
been your refusal to drop the GFDL.  Too bad, how how many friends of
free software have been alienated from the GNU project due to the
politburo alike management style of the FSF.  I am not sure whether
there is still a chance for Perestroika.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner