localization of response in interactive menus

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 05:31:57 +0100

 On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 11:11:34PM +0100
 Walter Koch wrote:

> This work. But maybe there are languages, where "Y" means No or "N" means
> Yes. So Werner should mark the hardcoded Y and N with a comment, that
> forbids the translation of this strings, but in those languages.
Is gettext able to distinguish between to version of "yes"? I don't believe so because the only information used to lookup the translation is the string itself. A workaround may be to prefix the english only yes with some string and hardcode the length of this string into the program. Frankly, I don't believe that there are languages which do swap the meaning of Y and N and if they answer strings are tanslated it shouldn't harm anyway becuase the hardcoded english answers will never be used. -- Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013