Problem with english translation

richard at quicksilvermail.net richard at quicksilvermail.net
Wed May 1 01:03:39 CEST 2013

Hi,

I'm not sure I have the right list. If not, please forgive me and let
me know the correct list. This is about translations.

My win32 program, QuickSilver Lite Remailer Client, uses GPG (1.4.12
currently).

Some of my users have their main GPG installation set to languages
other than english. My program has it own copy of GPG. In this
circumstances my GPG gets it's language from the registry entry of
the main GPG. I need errors in english. I've used the environment
variable LANGUAGE to set the language to en at quot.mo. Verifications
work fine, but it's apparently some form of english other than plain
english (or american english). Same problem with en at boldquot.mo.

When verifying messages, I always get this error message:
"conversion from `utf-8' to `CP437' failed: Illegal byte sequence"
"Good signature from \xe2\x80\x9cSteven Crook\xe2\x80\x9d"

If I add "display-charset utf-8" to the config file, I get this
instead:
"Good signature from “Richard Christmanâ€"

I need to solve the error problem. I can't find an en.mo for regular
english. I'm getting the impression that is built in to GPG as it is
english when no .mo files are present at all.

Can I force GPG to use plain english in this situation, with the main
GPG installation set to some other language? I've researched this a
great deal and found no answers other than the LANGUAGE environment
variable.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide,

Richard
--
Richard Christman
https://quicksilvermail.net