Problem with english translation

Petr Pisar petr.pisar at atlas.cz
Wed May 1 08:34:23 CEST 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 05:03:39PM -0600, richard at quicksilvermail.net wrote:
> I need errors in english. I've used the environment
> variable LANGUAGE to set the language to en at quot.mo. Verifications
> work fine, but it's apparently some form of english other than plain
> english (or american english). Same problem with en at boldquot.mo.

It's English. It's English with correct quoting characters. You can verify it
in a printed newspaper.

The @quot and @boldquot modifiers turn these Unicode quotations on explicitly.
Have you tried simple "en"?

> When verifying messages, I always get this error message:
> "conversion from `utf-8' to `CP437' failed: Illegal byte sequence"
> "Good signature from \xe2\x80\x9cSteven Crook\xe2\x80\x9d"

The \xe2\x80\x9 is American opening double quotes (“). But such a character
does not exist in CP437 character set used by your operating system.

> If I add "display-charset utf-8" to the config file, I get this
> instead:
> "Good signature from ???Richard Christman??"

Because you forced UTF-8 character set for the output, no recoding has been
performed and wrong characters have been printed to the output.

> I need to solve the error problem. I can't find an en.mo for regular
> english. I'm getting the impression that is built in to GPG as it is
> english when no .mo files are present at all.

I guess you look for English output in ASCII.

I have two pieces of news for you. The bad one is "en_US.CP437" or similar
locale does not know how to transliterate Unicode quoting characters to CP437
probably. The good one is GnuPG is written in English, so setting locale to
"C" or "POSIX" should give you untranslated output in ASCII which is, by
concidence, in English. And you should get plain ASCII quotes like (`').

So try to set LANGUAGE=C.

-- Petr