GPL & GnuPG

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 12:57:25 +0200 (MET DST)

You, Jens, wrote:

[Werner Koch]

>> For what are these good?! Sorry, I won't support such mechanisms and
>> it is sad enough that you can use gpg to do this (if it is a different
>> process and you promise to deliver the source of gpg)

> If you do really think so, then you should IMHO actually ask yourself if
> it is a good idea to release gpg under the terms of the GPL.
My opinion with respect to this is that GPL is the lesser evil here. Explicitly disallowing certain uses causes more problems than it's woth IMO, without solving any problems (see the crypto export rules from the USA, do they really believe that Iraq and North-Korea don't get pgp when if they want to have it?). -- ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site: johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html PGP/GPG public keys at http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/pgpkeys.html