rsa 1024 bit?

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:18:47 +0200

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Sam Roberts wrote:

> And even if you don't care about patent law, and consider it wrong
> to patent algorithms, you might want to consider not using patented
> algorithms. Using them gives support to their developers and patent
> holders, and reduces support for non-patented algorithms.
That is why I don't suggest IDEA or RSA. RSA is no problem except for the U.S. but I still don't see a reason to promote RSA for the next 20 days. Afaik, there is no way in Europe to sue the author of software using a patented algorithm. The algorithm itself is not patentable in Europe but running it on some hardware is. So the program is not patentable but the process is. The European patent office is going to change this rule which then would enable patent owners to sue the author of a software. Werner -- Werner Koch GnuPG key: 621CC013 OpenIT GmbH http://www.OpenIT.de -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org