Problems with Line breaks under Windows

Timo Schulz twoaday@freakmail.de
Sat Feb 10 15:35:02 2001

On Sat Feb 02 2001, Brian Galbraith wrote:

Hi Brian,

> The subject is fairly self explainatory. I like to have PGP
> capabilities on the windows system I *have* to use at work.
> I recently installed the official windows version of GnuPG and
> the latest version of GnuPG Shell. Test messages to myself were
> displayed perfectly on both Pegasus and Eudora. However when I finally
> downloaded them to my Linux box at home....all the line breaks were
> shown by ^M. If I decided to reply to myself the Linux editor
That's not a GnuPG/Mailer related problem. Both OS's have different ways to mark their line endings. Linux uses a simple linefeed '\n' and W32 uses a carriage return '\r' and a linefeed'. When you open a W32 message with a Linux editor, the '\r\n' combination will be shown as ^M.
The '\r\n' system is the standard network method to mark line endings. That's why Eudora and any other Mailer could handle it. Timo -- Two-a-Day at WinPT.org keyid BF3DF9B4 http://www.WinPT.org