Configure Failed need red hat install help

Cindy Walsh cwalsh@massed.net
Sat Jan 27 18:37:01 2001

Florian Weimer wrote:

> Cindy Walsh <cwalsh@massed.net> writes:
>
> > The .configure failed with the messages:

> > ./configure: /dev/null: Permission denied
> > ./configure: /dev/null: Permission denied
>
> And:
>
> > ls -l /dev/nu*
> > crw-r--r-- 1 root root 1, 3 May 5 1998 /dev/null
>
> You have to ask your system administrator to make /dev/null
> world-writable. Otherwise, many programs simply won't work.
>
> --
> Florian Weimer Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
> University of Stuttgart http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/
> RUS-CERT +49-711-685-5973/fax +49-711-685-5898
Hi, I requested that this issue be brought to the attention of a senior UNIX/Linux administrator. Their response is below. Will this work? If it will, should this be something to be added to the FAQ for individuals who encounter the same problem? Can all refs to /dev/null be "parameterized" in the code so that one change to a global variable modifies all references? Thanks in advance for your support.