HOWTO on interfacing with gnupg/pgp?

Marc Mutz Marc.Mutz@uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Jun 26 13:43:02 2001

Hi again!

I'm playing with the thought of using gpgme for KDE2.3's KMail. BUT:

On Monday 18 June 2001 10:15, Werner Koch wrote:

> || On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 23:56:26 +0200
> || Marc Mutz <Marc.Mutz@uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:
>
> mm> Is it ready for production yet?
>
> Use it. It is probably better debugged than other tools invoking gpg
> and well, I amthe manin author of both and so I take care that both
> are working.

Quoting the web page: --- GPGME is still work in progress, so don't expect that everything works and be careful when using production quality secret keys. ---
> mm> Does it support PGP?
>
> Of course not! The GNU project[1] does not support proprietary
> software or advocates its use.

Quoting the web page: --- GnuPG Made Easy (GPGME) is a library designed to make access to GnuPG easier for applications. It provides a High-Level Crypto API for encryption, decryption, signing, signature verification and key management. Currently it uses GnuPG as it's backend but the API isn't restricted to this engine; in fact it is planned to add other backends to it. --- Pay esp. attention to the last sentence. I must admit that I'm confused. What if we ship a KDE-2.3 which requires the then-current gpgme. Will that one (in three or four months from now) be ready for "production quality secret keys"? What if we port our current pgp interfacing to be a backend to gpgme? Will this code be accepted for inclusion or do we have to maintain it as a patch and tell people: "Patch gpgme yourself if you want pgp support"? Marc -- Marc Mutz <Marc@Mutz.com> http://marc.mutz.com/ http://www.mathematik.uni-bielefeld.de/~mmutz/ http://EncryptionHOWTO.sourceforge.net/