accented characters in real name in generating key

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Tue Sep 18 11:41:01 2001

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:51:03 +0200, René Clerc said:

> René Clerc
That is the UTF-8 encoding of é. UTF-8 is the standard encoding for all newer Internet protocols and it has huge advantages over a single byte encode. You probably heard about Unicode - utf-8 is a way to encode the 4 byte wide Unicode characters in the most compatible way for applications. Except for sorting functions, only the input and output functions of an OS need to cope with it. Sadly most OS do not support utf-8 very well, so GnuPG has the charset option to do the conversion internally in GnuPG. Most keyservers are not really aware of OpenPGP and use the old PGP 2 way where the character encoding is not specified.
> Or should I change some TERM setting or so? (mine is 'screen' right
> now)...
GnuPG should display it correctly if you did set charset to the one used on your box (probably iso-8859-1).
> Or should I just change my name? (sigh...)
Better keep your name or you may run into problems with the authorities :-). Except that utf-8 will be the standard encoding on most boxes in the near future. Werner -- Werner Koch Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur g10 Code GmbH et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est. Privacy Solutions -- Augustinus