weird WARNING messages with 1.0.7

Jussi Ekholm ekhowl@goa-head.org
Fri Jun 14 11:24:01 2002

Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:51:51 +0300, Jussi Ekholm said:
>> Heya. I'm using GnuPG 1.0.7 (seems to act quite a bit differently than
>> 1.0.6 - at least 'gpg --list-keys' is MUCH slower and so on...) and I
>> get this message everytime I run it:
>
> You did read the NEWS file, right?

I tried to read every bit of information I was able to get my hands on,
but for some reason I tend to miss stuff...

> In short, do a gpg --rebuild-keydb-caches

Thanks a lot, this sure did the job.

>> [11:48pm] ekhowl@erpland:~$ gpg --version
>> gpg: WARNING: --honor-http-proxy is a deprecated option.
>> gpg: please use "--keyserver-options honor-http-proxy" instead
>
> Can we make this message any clearer?

No, it's as clear as it can get. And I apologize for being such an
asswipe and asking about this here. The situation just was this: I
upgraded from 1.0.6 to 1.0.7 and after that I got the message. Ah well,
I thought, let's configure it away. Then I tried to search any ~/.gp*
stuff in my home directory, for no avail of course. Only after I sent
the email I remembered, that it was .gnupg, and options under that
directory. :-/

I really want to apologize for the whole list here. I shouldn't have
mailed this kind of message here, that's for sure; it's just easier to
go where the fence is lowest... but I'm getting rid of that habit. Now
I'm reading every bit of information I can lay my hands on, whatever the
issue is.

> What about "man gpg" ?

Yeah; as I mention above, I've had a *serious* case of
"don't-remember-to-or-too-hard-to-read-documentation" syndrome for a
long time now. And thus I apologize again. I will read GNU FAQ, The GNU
Privacy Handbook and various other documentations I can find. Jeffo and
David T-G have guided me to the right direction, definitely. Jeffo by
saying, that GnuPG is absolutely useless if you don't know how it works
and David by that *incredible* amount of information he has been so
kindly sharing with me.

Once more, I'm really sorry for bothering this list with such a stupid
questions as mine. Thanks a lot for the answers, though - I really
appreciate it. You are again one more person kicking me in the ass to
RTFM before asking questions as silly as these. My intention wasn't to
upset anyone, that's for sure - the thing, that I asked questions which
can be found from TFM is most likely very annoying, I acknowledge that.
And from now on, I will read manuals, FAQs and every piece of
information before I ask in a public mailing list.

- --
Jussi Ekholm  <ekhowl@goa-head.org> || http://erppimaa.cjb.net/~ekhowl/
GnuPG Key ID: 1410081E || 4AA9 DA67 4ECF 88C7 84CC  46C0 02D1 0047 1410 081E