lookups by fingerprint and long keyid (was Re: duplicate keyid survey results)

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Sun Mar 10 23:37:02 2002

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 04:44:03PM -0500, Jason Harris wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 02:28:00PM -0500, David Shaw wrote:
> > Something to be discussed in the RFC, I think. :)
>
> As features which are optional to implement, I feel that they can go
> in immediately.  I have already needed and performed lookups (mostly
> non-keyserver greps on pgpring(1) output) by fingerprint and long keyid.

For browser-based lookups by human beings, fine.

For any program-driven interface, it must be discussed first.
Creating a feature that breaks compatibility with an existing server
base needs at least a minute or two of thought before doing it.

David