FAQ item?: Using GnuPG in a business

Steve Butler sbutler@fchn.com
Tue Mar 26 21:41:02 2002

On the first page of http://www.gnupg.org/ is a link saying 'Free Software'
that takes a person to http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html.  Now, I
agree that a person has to read pretty far down that page to find

"Thus, you may have paid money to get copies of GNU software, or you may
have obtained copies at no charge. But regardless of how you got your
copies, you always have the freedom to copy and change the software, even to
sell copies.

``Free software'' does not mean ``non-commercial''. A free program must be
available for commercial use, commercial development, and commercial
distribution. Commercial development of free software is no longer unusual;
such free commercial software is very important."

Perhaps a disclaimer at the top or even back on www.gnupg.org where the
'Free Software' link is at, the wording could be changed from:

"It can be freely used, modified and distributed under the terms of the GNU
General Public Licence" (where Gnu General Public Licence is a link)

To say:

"This software may be freely used, modified and distributed in any
commercial or non-commercial environment without payment of royalties under
the terms of the Gnu General Public License"   (where Gnu General Public
License would still be a link)

An addition to the FAQ up toward the top (it's been awhile since I read it)
might also be appropriate.  I know it took me a couple of days of digging
through the web site before I could convince myself and my boss that this
was for real.

Stephen M Butler
Oracle Administrator
First Choice Health Network