FAQ item?: Using GnuPG in a business

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Tue Mar 26 22:40:01 2002

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 12:38:12PM -0800, Steve Butler wrote:
> An addition to the FAQ up toward the top (it's been awhile since I read it)
> might also be appropriate.  I know it took me a couple of days of digging
> through the web site before I could convince myself and my boss that this
> was for real.

Yes, that's exactly what worries me about the current documentation
and web pages.  The fact that it took you that long to be sure the GPL
allowed you to use GnuPG freely means that it just isn't clear enough.

The GPL gives users many wonderful things, but a good-sized piece of
the "target market" for GnuPG simply don't care about modifying the
code or redistributing it.  What is needed for those people or
businesses is a simple statement that says "Yes, it's free.  No, there
are no licencing fees.  No, there are no patent issues.  Take it and
enjoy using it.  If you want more help than is available for free on
the Internet, then these three companies will even sell you support
for it."

David