Question...

Leigh S. Jones kr6x@kr6x.com
Fri May 24 16:01:01 2002

Encrypting a large number of files is relatively easy.  Signing
and decrypting would be more difficult because that step
requires the entry of a password -- 1 password entry for
each file.

It's likely that your best solution would be to use winzip to
bundle all of the files into a zip file, then sign and encrypt
the whole bundle at once.

The brute force method for encryption is:

dir /B > [filename]

Use a text editor on [filename] and turn it into a batch file
that does your encryption.

Believe it or not, on gnu-Linux systems and most Unix
systems you can condense all of those operations into
a little batch file that you could use over and over again.
But it's difficult on Windows systems because there is
no "args" command on the Windows command line.

On a computer over which you have complete control
(complete physical security) it is possible to set the
password on the key to a blank (zero length) password
and do the signing or decryption without re-entering the
password.  Then quickly change the password back.

Some of the features of WinPT allow you to do a
multiple file sign or decrypt with a single entry of the
password.  It's limited to perhaps 10 files at a time
for the present or else it crashes.

On PGP 7.03 Freeware you can do this by setting the
password retention time <options><General><cache
passphrase>.

"Ghosty" <uv_light@hotmail.com> wrote in message