rpm --checksig problem

David R. Bergstein dbergstein at comcast.net
Mon Dec 1 23:04:20 CET 2003

engage wrote:

> On Monday 01 December 2003 01:53 am, Dick Gevers wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 19:35:38 -0700, engage <engage at n0sq.net> wrote about OT?
>>
>>rpm --checksig problem:
>>
>>>Even though the public keys are on the keyring, running rpm --checksig on
>>>packages tell me that the key is missing. I tried downloading the packages
>>
>>>from a different mirror but get the same problem. I even tried rpm --import
>>
>>><pubkey> but that didn't help either. This began after a fresh install of
>>>Mandrake 9.2 (was running 9.0). GnuPG 1.2.3-3.1.92mdk.
>>
>>If I am not mistaken GnuPG isn`t even needed for the rpm --checksig
>>function.
>
> No, but the public keys are required.
>
>>There are a few things you might want to do, if you haven`t done so already:
>>
>>Update the Mandrake rpm* packages, which have been
>>published since 9.2 was distributed.
>

> I won't do that until I can verify the signatures on the packages.
>

>>Under Mandrake Control Center the keys can be managed via `Software Manager`
>>- --> `Software Media Manager` --> Manage keys...
>

> I tried that plus rpm --import. I still get the error message that the keys
> are missing.
>

>>Apparently the required key not only needs to be on the rpm keyring but also
>>has to be associated with the source it is supposed to verify. If I run
>>`rpm -K foo.rpm` it checks okay, but if it is not associated in Software
>>Media Manager RpmDrake will not recognize the key verifying it.
>

> I've never had this problem in earlier distros. Why is 9.2 different?
>

>>Besides, I don`t have an /etc/RPM-KEYS, Mandrake 9.2 seems to put them
>>elsewhere. Below /var/lib/rpm if I am not mistaken.
>>
>>HTH
>>=Dick Gevers=

I'm not sure if this might help, but one user was able to import his rpm
keys for MDK 9.2 from his CDROM media.  In case the link below gets
broken from linewrapping, he mounted his install media and entered:

rpm --import /mnt/cdrom/RPM-GPG-KEYS

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=mandrake+rpm+gpg+keyring+site:mandrakelinux.com&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=ISO-8859-1&scoring=d&selm=1133602.UDI8C0e8O9%40cooke-main-box.madhouse&rnum=2

Regards,

- David

--
David R. Bergstein
Systems Engineer and Blues Musician

A day for firm decisions!!!!!  Or is it?