TAB at EOL (GPG and PGP interoperability)

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Wed Jan 15 19:44:02 2003

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 10:20:55AM -0800, vedaal@hush.com wrote:

> >Message: 10
> >Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:32:30 -0500
> >From: David Shaw <dshaw@jabberwocky.com>
> >To: gnupg-users@gnupg.org
> >Subject: Re: TAB at EOL (GPG and PGP interoperability)
> ..
> >  However: if you are
> >using
> >a v3 RSA key, GnuPG guesses you want to be compatible with PGP 2.x,
> > so
> >it includes the tab.  Using the --openpgp flag makes this strictly
> >RFC-2440, so it will not include the tab.
> ..

> actually, if i use a dh key, then it verifies with either the tab
> present, or without it,

Yes, that is what I am saying.  The tab is not included in the hash so
it doesn't matter if you delete it or not, or even add 30 more tabs
there.

> gpg: armor header: Hash: RIPEMD160

If you use a hash other than MD5, then GnuPG won't detect the message
as PGP 2.x compatible so will not turn on the tab detector.

David