Mutt and GPG (was: Getting started with signatures)

Todd Todd <Freedom_Lover@pobox.com>
Mon May 12 06:07:02 2003

Daniel Carrera wrote:
>> That may well be an issue of the pgp signature format.  Mutt uses PGP/MIME
>> by default...
>
> I've looked into it.  Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the problem.

This bites a lot of people, unfortunately.  Someday, PGP/MIME will be
widely supported and we can then move on to some other problem...

>> You can make mutt check these signatures in several ways.  The
>> recommended way in 1.4 and above is to use the check-traditional-pgp
>> function, which is bound to ESC P by default.
>
> Mutt doesn't seem to recognize that option.  I put it in my .muttrc file
> (I bound it to ESC V and I got this error:
>
>    check-traditional-pgp: no such function in map

I'm not sure what might be wrong with your muttrc entry.  You should be able
to make something like that work.  If not, the mutt-users list would be the
place to ask about it.

> BTW, ESC P doesn't do a PGP check either.

Are you using a capital P, e.g. shift p and not just ESC p?  If you are
using a capital P, what happens when you do this on a traditionally signed
or encrypted message?  Do you get some error or something?

> Could you help me with patches?  I've spent all afternoon trying to figure
> out how to apply a patch and I just can't get it to work.
>
> I'm starting with the very first patch:
>
> patch-1.4.0.ddm.crypt-menu.1  (from [1])
>
> dcarrera ~ $ ls
> mutt-1.4/
> patch-1.4.0.ddm.crypt-menu.1
> patch-1.4.0.ddm.pgp-always-check-traditional.1
> patch-1.4.1.dw.pgp-menu-traditional.2
> dcarrera ~ $ patch < patch-1.4.0.ddm.crypt-menu.1
>   Looks like a unified context diff.
> File to patch:

I think you want to cd into the mutt-1.4 dir and then use the -p option to
patch.  The patches have mutt-1.4 and mutt-1.4.new in the paths for the
files they're modifying, so to strip the directory from the path, use

    patch -p1 < patch

I should have been more specific about which patch I meant on the first url.
The crypt-menu patch probably conflicts with the pgp-menu-traditional patch
(they both tweak some of the same code in compose.c).  I only use
patch-1.4.0.ddm.pgp-always-check-traditional.1 and
patch-1.4.1.dw.pgp-menu-traditional.2.

You may also find that you need to apply one of the patches before the other
if you get "Hunk failed" errors.  I happen to apply the menu-trad patch
first in my builds, but I don't remember if that's intentional or just by
chance.

If you're going to build mutt from source, you might want to grab 1.4.1, it
contains a security fix for imap servers.

Feel free to bug me off list if you have any trouble.  I'll try to help you
out.

- --
Todd              OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xD654075A | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
Stop tolerating in your leaders what you would not tolerate in your friends.
    -- Michael Ventura