[Q] Sending a key to a keyserver

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Tue May 13 23:14:02 2003

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 04:36:59PM +0200, Michael Nahrath wrote:
> David Shaw wrote:
>=20
> > Presumably Neil was looking on one of the HKP keyservers.  The LDAP
> > keyserver don't sync very well (if at all) with the HKP keyservers.
>=20
> AFAIK the LDAP keyservers are driven by PGP.com and they are the default
> servers in PGP8.
>=20
> OTOH all GPG applications default to the HKP network and GPG can't even
> fully access the LDAP keyservers.

Says who? ;)

gpg --keyserver ldap://keyserver.pgp.com --recv-keys 99242560

Anyone who has the LDAP libraries installed when they build GnuPG gets
LDAP support built in by default.

> Both networks are not connected.
>=20
> IMO this shisma within OpenPGP is currently the greatest interoptability
> problem betwheen PGP and GPG users.
>=20
> If I understood some postings on the keyserver-folks list right, the prob=
lem
> is that PGP.com doesn't cooperate to provide and accept the neccesary data
> for a syncronisation (and don't answer to any mail requests).
>=20
> How do you feel:
> * Do they intend to make communicaton harder for GPG users intentionally?
> * May there be valid technical reasons to not want the syncronisation?
> * Do they underestimate the value of a well working keyserver network?
> * Don't the right people within PGP.com know about the problem?

I don't think the pgp.com folks are intentionally causing problems
with the rest of the world.  It's far more likely they are just very
busy starting a new company and the keyserver is not a very high
priority.

David

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN--