localisations and charsets

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Fri May 16 11:21:02 2003

On Fri, 16 May 2003 01:59:17 +0200, Michael Nahrath said:

> [michi@localhost]~$ gpg --charset utf8 --edit 307D56ED
> pub  1024D/307D56ED  erstellt: 2001-05-17 verf?llt: niemals
> sub  2048g/B9A65282  erstellt: 2001-05-17 verf?llt: niemals
> (1). Nočl Köthe <noel@debian.org>

> wouldn't display the name correctly.
> UTF8 output from GPG is no problem, only the localised UI is.

I see.  Do you need to use the charset option of GnuPG to make your
name printed correctly?  It should work without because the default is
to use the current locale for selecting the charset.  I guess that it
does not work and thus gettext won't work either.

I assume that you did set your LANG environmet variable correctly.
What does a
  grep HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET gnupg-1.2.2/config.h
print?

--
  Nonviolence is the greatest force at the disposal of
  mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of