Searching for subkeys

Jason Harris jharris@widomaker.com
Fri May 16 23:25:02 2003

--gvF4niNJ+uBMJnEh

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 04:39:23PM -0400, David Shaw wrote:

> I don't think it's artificial.  GnuPG supports showing subkey IDs, and
> even subkey fingerprints.  The reason is the same - if a user
> (admittedly, a user with special needs) wants to tell someone to
> encrypt to his key, it does not always make sense to go through the
> primary key fingerprint -> primary key -> binding signature ->
> pick-a-subkey path when the user can jump right to the exact subkey
> desired.

[NB:  CC'd to gnupg-users]

I continue to maintain that I would take this one step further and say
that when a subkey is specified by the "fingerprint!" syntax, it can
also be used without any (valid) binding signatures (but probably only
in --expert mode).

--=20
Jason Harris          | NIC:  JH329, PGP:  This _is_ PGP-signed, isn't it?
jharris@widomaker.com | web:  http://jharris.cjb.net/

--gvF4niNJ+uBMJnEh

--gvF4niNJ+uBMJnEh--