Moving from PGP to GnuPG and other questions ...

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Tue Apr 27 22:06:15 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 5:43, Denis Green wrote:
> Hello Group
> 3/
> Is there a way to use the IDEA algorithm with GnuPG - if

Why compromise GnuPG with the patented IDEA? If you want to use free software,
don't fund those whose patents would prevent the use of free software.

Free = free speech, not just free beer. You want free? Then help GnuPG STAY
free.
http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_doc/patent.html
http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Patents/rms-pto.html

> so how ? [wish to be fully compatible with PGP users ]

If you want to use the patent you'll have to pay the piper.

The best option is to not use IDEA and educate the PGP users.

> 4/
> I presently use Pegasus for Windows as my e mail client.
> Are there better free e mail clients - that integrate with
> GPG especially ?

Heard good things about Turnpike and Eudora but I'm GNU/Linux only.

> 7/
> Any free English language Dictionaries for English
> meanings / spelling / pronunciation etc. ? (not spell
> checker - I have Aspell already)

Google?

> 8/
> Free stuff preferred. If not available please recommend
> paid versions as well

Free does not mean not-paid! Free means liberty.
http://www.codehelp.co.uk/html/about.html#principles

Free software can still require payment but never reduces your freedom.

Proprietary or patented software usually costs a fee and ALWAYS reduces your
freedom.

Please don't use 'paid versions' - what you mean is proprietary (or in the
case of IDEA, patented). Free software (like Linux) can still be sold with a
price.

http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

--

Neil Williams