Bus error on Solaris 9

gabriel rosenkoetter gr at eclipsed.net
Tue Feb 24 21:07:36 CET 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 03:17:10PM -0500, E. Stuart Hicks wrote:
> The patch didn't help (although the change in asm-syntax.h was successful)
> but disabling the assembly worked.

There's something in the back of my mind about gcc 3.3 having some
serious assembler problems on sparc64. I think I'm remembering it
from port-sparc64 at netbsd.org, and I also think there's a NetBSD-
local patch for the gcc 3 we've (that is, NetBSD) got in the
toolchain that may not be in the main gcc tree (or, at least, not
pulled up for release) yet.

It may be worth searching the port-sparc64 and tech-toolchain
mailing lists to put some force behind this ("Hey, this breaks GnuPG
too!").

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 03:17:10PM -0500, E. Stuart Hicks wrote:
> I've got both Sun's default assembler in /usr/ccs/bin and GNU's
> in /usr/local/bin so I'm not sure which one it's using.

You could try -fno-gnu-linker (or something like that, check the
docs) to force the issue.

I believe that gcc will default to Gnu ld, if it knows (read, "found
it at compile time") it's there, but I certainly couldn't quote you
source code line and verse on that.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr at eclipsed.net