having trouble with encrypted mail - thunderbird, enigmail, gnupg

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu Sep 23 15:59:40 CEST 2004

Ed Stafford wrote:
> I can read signed mail with success, but trying to decrypt encrypted
> mail returns an error that there is no secret key available.
> I have not found any information on the web to help me.

Have you checked that you have correct secret keys installed on both
computers?  Have you checked that you encrypted with correct public key?
  You need public keys A and B on both computers, secret key A on
coputer A, and secret key B on computer B.  Than on computer A you
encrypt with public key B, and on computer B you decrypt with secret key
B.   You can check what secret keys are installed with gpg
--list-secret-keys.  You might also want to check trust relationships.
If you were exporting/importing keys, you might need to set trust
manually using gpg --edit-key keyid, you usually want to set your
private/secret keypair to be ultimately trusted.  Trust is not
exported/imported with a key.