Are gpg signatures considered attachments?

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 14:27:20 CET 2005

Thorsten Haude wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Chris wrote (2005-12-28 00:45):

<snip>
>>On the bad signature I see this when looking at the msg source:
>>
>>--nextPart5566026.XhGQNAZr0e
>>
>>On a good signature I see this:

> This is from a single mail, before and after it got munged by the
> mailing list software? If not, *are* the mails changed that way? In
> what way are they changed?

I can answer this in part... "quoted-printable" equals-escapes things
such as newlines and equals signs - which of course changes the message
hash, invalidating the signature. Any mailing list software which
changes message encoding is EVIL.

>>Its even gotten so messed up that some have their signatures show bad when
>>adding a sig to the bottom of the message, leaving it off shows the
>>signature as valid.  The opinion on the list is that something is
>>definately out of whack in the list software configuration.
>

> So whack it over the head. These things can be changed. What software
> do they use? What does the list provider say? What does the creator of
> the mailing list say?

Mailman seems to be okay with such things... generally adding a mailing
list footer won't mangle PGP/MIME (I've never seen it mangle inline
PGP), but once you add attachments the list footer will start breaking
things.

--
Alphax                      |   /"\
Encrypted Email Preferred   |   \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign