Howto multiple mail accts.

Atom Smasher atom at smasher.org
Sat Feb 5 21:35:41 CET 2005

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005, Toni wrote:

> I'm new to gpg and have some doubts I could not google. Please direct me
> to a FAQ / HOWTO / etc if such document exists:
>
> I have several mail accounts, some personal, some for work, etc.  I have
> seen three possibilities to deal with this:
>
> - Add multiple UIDs to my main key
> - Have multiple signing subkeys
> - Have secondary "complete" keys signed by my main key.
>
> I've been reading the pros/cons of each aproach and can't make up my
> mind to what is the best approach.
>
> Right now I thinnk the best would be to have a main key, with no e-mail
> at all and use this to sign other keys, one for each mail account.
>
> What do you think?
===========================

if it's no secret that all of the accounts belong to you, then a single
key with multiple UIDs is probably the best thing. it's certainly the
easiest.

if you don't want people to immediately know that all of the accounts
belong to you, then use multiple keys.

i have 3 keys that are publicly distributed. one for business and
professional correspondence, one for casual correspondence and one for an
address (read: identity) that i don't share with too many people.

on my casual correspondence key i have 2 UIDs. it's no secret that i
control both of those mailboxes.

if your multiple accounts require your key(s) to be stored on machines
that you don't own/admin (such as a company computer) then you should
consider multiple keys/subkeys.

if you decide to use multiple subkeys this might help -
http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/subkeys

- --
         ...atom

  PGP key - http://atom.smasher.org/pgp.txt
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

 	"We don't know if lobsters feel pain... [but] since
 	 pain is a perception, we often don't know whether
 	 people feel it either"
 		-- Prof. Edward Kravitz,
 		Harvard Medical School