gnupg keyrings // question / request

Mark Kirchner mail at mark-kirchner.de
Wed Jul 20 07:28:00 CEST 2005

On Tuesday, July 19, 2005, 10:50:55 PM, vedaal wrote:
> i keep the keyrings on a usb drive, but keep my home directory as
> the root directory (c:\gnupg)
>
> if i connect the drive, and then type 'gpg' this is what happens:
>
> C:\>>gpg
> gpg: keyring `c:/gnupg\secring.gpg' created
> gpg: Go ahead and type your message ...
>
> is there a way to tell gnupg that the keyrings are not in the home
> directory, and to look for them in their alternative location ?

Yes, there is, call gpg with these options (or better, put them in
your gpg.conf):
--keyring <path_to_public_keyring>
--secret-keyring <path_to_secret_keyring>

And then you'll probably want to use this one as well:
--no-default-keyring

Detailed explanations about these options are given in the manpage.

Regards,
Mark Kirchner

Key (0x172C073C): http://www.mark-kirchner.de/keys/key-mk.asc