gnupg keyrings // question / request

Thomas Jones admin at buddhalinux.com
Wed Jul 20 06:05:05 CEST 2005

vedaal at hush.com wrote:

>i keep the keyrings on a usb drive,
>but keep my home directory as the root directory
>(c:\gnupg)
>
>if i connect the drive,
>and then type 'gpg'
>this is what happens:
>
>C:\>gpg
>gpg: keyring `c:/gnupg\secring.gpg' created
>gpg: Go ahead and type your message ...
>

>is there a way to tell gnupg that the keyrings are not in the home
>directory, and to look for them in their alternative location ?
>
>e.g.
>something like:
>
>gpg: secring not found in home directory
>gpg: is there another location? y/n y
>gpg: go ahead and type location of secring.gpg
>

>(right now, i just copy them in and over-write the
>c:\gnupg\secring.gpg
>file)
>
>(also, tiny really minor point:
>the gnupg error message for the windows binary
>should have the '\' not the '/' )
>

>tia,
>
>vedaal
>

>Concerned about your privacy? Follow this link to get
>secure FREE email: http://www.hushmail.com/?l=2
>
>Free, ultra-private instant messaging with Hush Messenger
>http://www.hushmail.com/services-messenger?l=434
>
>Promote security and make money with the Hushmail Affiliate Program:
>http://www.hushmail.com/about-affiliate?l=427

Remove the secring.gpg file. Replace it with a shortcut to the
location of your private key that is on your USB drive.

So now every time the GnuPG engine attempts to access your private
key, it will
be directed to the actual key on the USB medium.

As a side note, I hope that you have your revocation certificate
secured and stored on a medium other than that of your USB drive.

i.e. Backup CD-R