[outlgpg] Questions on installing and using with Outlook 2003.

Patrick Dickey pats_comp_solutions at hotpop.com
Sat Jul 30 18:51:28 CEST 2005

Timo Schulz wrote:

> Patrick Dickey wrote:
>
>> into the Windows\system32 directory. When I tried to do regsvr,
>> I had to move the gpgexch.dll file to the Windows\System32 folder
>> also.
>

> What Windows version do you use? I've never seen that this step is
> needed and I tested it on 98 and XP.
>
> What is the error or why do you think you have to copy it to this
> place also?
>

>> Now, I have the tabs in Outlook, but it doesn't work as
>> expected...
>

> What does this exactly means?
>

>> My questions are these... 1) When I did the regsvr, should I
>> have did regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Outlook" (where
>> I originally put the gpgexch.dll file), or was I correct in
>> moving the
>

> gpgexch.dll can be stored at any place. regsvr32 stores the path of
> the current directory in the registry for you.
>

>> 2) How do I configure Outlook to use the gpg program? I have my
>> GPG keys and the binaries in "C:\Program Files\GNU\GnuPG\" but,
>> I'm not
>

> If you enabled 'GPGExch' in the Outlook Extension dialog, you just
> need to click on the new tabbed pane 'GnuPG' and set the gpg
> binary.
>

>> and when I run the keymanager, I get a cmd box that says "gpg--
>> Go ahead and type your message." Also, I don't have any new
>> buttons in
>

> Currently only WinPT is supported for key management. Just enter
> the WinPT path plus --keymanager. Example "c:\winpt\winpt.exe
> --keymanager".
>

>> If/when I find out the answers to my problems, I can create a
>> .rtf file or htm file that walks you through it, if the interest
>> is there.
>

> The plugin is currently in a beta stadium. When we release the
> first stable version, it will contain more documentation how to use
> and to install it.
>
> Anyway I guess it's also a good idea to provide some more details
> for the beta version right now.

To answer your questions....

I was mistaken when I said I had to copy it into the folder.  When I
ran Regsvr32, I got  Load Module failed, can't find the module.  But,
it was because I wasn't using quotes around the Path.  I should have
known better.. :S

As for what "I have the tabs in Outlook, but they don't work as
expected means", I tried to explain that afterwards.  I have the tab
in my Preferences, but I wasn't exactly sure what to put in there.
Originally, I had the "Always sign with the default key" option
checked, but since I didn't know what to put, I put a pathname to a
file in.  Looking back, I'm assuming it means an actual key.  Also the
message I get in the cmd box when I try running Keymanager (which you
explained later on).

When you click on the Advanced button in the GnuPG tab (Preferences in
Outlook), and specify the binaries, you want to put "C:\Program
Files\GNU\GnuPG\gpg.exe" for the Path to Binaries, "C:\Program
Files\GNU\GnuPG\" for the path to home directory (since that's where
my trustdb.gpg file is located) and "C:\winpt\winpt.exe --keymanager"
for the path to keymanager?

Thanks for your help on this. It's greatly appreciated.
Patrick Dickey.