the best signature type someone can give me

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Oct 31 01:34:31 CET 2005

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 12:57:58AM +0100, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> Hi...
>
> This is just a short question,... (I'll ask a lot of other things
> regarding signatures as part of "my" "Lots of questions" thread :-) )..
>
> What is the "best type of signautre someone can give to my UIDs?
>
> Ok,.. I think there are the following types:
> local, non-revocable, trust, normal
>
> So I he/she gave me a non-revocable signature he/she can't revoke the
> signature later (thus take it away from me ;) ).
> Is it suggested using NR signatures? Why should one do so, or why not?
> (I mean what are the advanteages/disadvantages)?

It is not suggested.  NR signatures are useful in very specific
circumstances, and regular people signing other people's keys are not
one of those circumstances.  It's not necessarily a benefit to you
that someone can't revoke a signature - if you lose your key and can't
revoke it, you'd want your signers to revoke their signatures.

> Than the signature level (0, 1, 2 ,3) => of course 3 is the best,..
> he/she checkt my UID very carefully or so

Remember that the numbers don't actually mean anything - a "2" for one
person may be the same as a "3" for someone else.  The web of trust
does not look at these numbers at all, except that signature level 1
is ignored by default.  You don't get any more validity from a 3 than
you get from a 2 or a 0.

> Trust signatures,...
> What is the difference between a normal and a trust signature. I don't
> understand that concept *g*

Trust signatures are not generally useful outside of hierarchal
company-type environments.

David