OpenPGP Card

Alon Bar-Lev alon.barlev at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 16:36:14 CEST 2005

Benjamin Donnachie wrote:
> Alon Bar-Lev <alon.barlev at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Just a thought... why do you use gpg?
>

> Mainly because of my paranoia, and partly because I've used PGP since it was
> a DOS based
> program! :)
>

>>which feature you require?
>

> Signing / encrypting messages.  However, I quite like the idea of
> restricting admin access to my
> server using smartcards - it would plug a few potential security holes.

So why don't you use standard mail client such as mozilla
thunderbird?
It support S/MIME and PKCS#11 so that you can encrypt/sign
messages and using smartcard!!!
You don't have to use gpg for this.

> Can you recommend any further smartcard reading?
Yes...
But you need to focus... What level? Programmer? Administrator?
1. Most popular for linux starting point is www.opensc.org.
2. Be sure your smartcard support PKCS#11 interface
http://www.rsasecurity.com/rsalabs/pkcs/pkcs-11/index.html.
3. Be sure your smartcard support pcsc-lite
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/
4. Be sure your USB reader supports CCID driver
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/
5. There is PAM PKCS#11 at www.opensc.org...
6. If you need one smartcard to be used on Windows machine and
Linux machine - talk to me...

Best Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.