PKCS#11 support for gpg-agent

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Sep 5 16:32:01 CEST 2005

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 08:35:15 +0100 (BST), Nicholas Cole said:

> gpg-1.9, and the thinking behind adding support for
> s/mime.  What is the "roadmap" (from the point of view
> of users) for gpg?

* The most important task is to integrate gpg 1.4 code base into gpg
  1.9.  I did this a long time ago but in the meantime e changed a lot
  of stuff in 1.4. so that if needs to be done again.

* The format of the keyrings will be switched to a newer one (KBX).
  This should really help with larger keyrings and provides some other
  goodies.

* Release 2.0

> Is there any sense in which opengpg is, or may be
> soon, a deprecated standard?

NO.  We all like OpenPGP far more than S/MIME.

> Beyond the pros and cons of centralised CAs, what are
> the advantages of the two?

To match the structure of the organisation.  OpenPGP allows for all
kinds of PKIs; whereas X.509 requires a hierarchical one.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner