Transparent keyboards

Patrick Dickey pats_comp_solutions at hotpop.com
Sun Sep 4 12:48:32 CEST 2005

Oskar L. wrote:

>"Neil Williams" <linux at codehelp.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>What makes you think a keylogger goes 'inside' a keyboard? The cable
>>connection is just as easy and an internal unit (on the inside of the
>>socket on the box) even better.
>>

>I keep my case open, so I would notice that. There enough space for a
>keylogger in the average keyboard. What makes you think this is not where
>a keylogger would be placed?
>

>>If someone has physical access to your machine whilst you are away, all
>>manner
>>of things can be done to compromise the system -
>>

>Can you give me a few hardware related examples, that will work against
>someone booting from a live CD/DVD (or better, booting from an USB-stick
>and first checking the hash of the CD/DVD before using it)?
>

>>a keylogger would be the least of your worries.
>>

>Well that is debatable, but I'm sure we all agree on that it is one of the
>easiest and cheapest ways of compromising someones computer.
>
>So if anyone know of any transparent keyboard models, please list them.
>
>Oskar

I don't know of any transparent keyboards off-hand (I can check our
local computer store tomorrow, since they have one there).  But, I will
say this.  There is a keylogger out that goes between the keyboard plug
and the case.  So, unless you are able to see through the back of the
case, or are so paranoid that you turn the case all different directions
before you turn it on, you'll never see it.

However, I would have to ask you where are you located that you worry so
much?  If you're in a corporation, then I'm pretty sure that your
company has policies about the use of keyloggers.  If you're in a
library, then I agree with the others when they say a keylogger that is
implanted in a keyboard is the least of your worries (plus, I think the
library will have serious concerns about you bringing your own keyboard
in) (This also applies for schools and colleges).  And, if you're at
home, and can't even trust your own family, then anything
computer-related is the least of your concerns.  I'd be more inclined to
be looking up a good psychologist rather then a transparent keyboard.

Virus Database (VPS): 0535-3, 09/02/2005  Tested on: 9/4/2005 5:49:30 AM