GPGME: Exporting a private key

Ludovic Courtès ludovic.courtes at laas.fr
Tue Aug 1 13:49:35 CEST 2006

Hi,

Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> writes:

> No. And we won't add such a feature.  This has been discussed here
> (or at gnupg-devel@) several times.

I guess you're referring to [0,1].  Sorry, I had not come across them.

I do understand the rationale expressed in these messages, but the issue
is that other pieces of software may still want to manipulate the secret
key themselves.

For example, my initial goal was to interface GNUtls' OpenPGP mechanisms
with GPGME, and it turns out that a `gnutls_openpgp_privkey_t' can only
be initialized from an exported key.  Perhaps GNUtls' API should be
changed in a way that doesn't assume the ability to read one's private
key (perhaps using GPGME)?