GnuPG (Windows XP) Problem

John Clizbe JPClizbe at comcast.net
Fri Aug 18 09:43:40 CEST 2006

1wing-angel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem. I have 2 computers and I set one up with GnuPG(GPG) with a
> key. I use Thunderbird to send and receive encrypted email with no problems.
> The second computer is not set with any key. I want to setup the second
> computer with with the "Same" email like the first computer with a key, but
> it doesn't work. When I start to generate my key, it fails. Here is what I
> did.
>
> I typed in my name, enter the "Same" email, basically everything is all the
> same. Once I entered my pass phrase, it starts generating the key. After a
> couple of minutes, I get the below error.

Unless you have some specific need, eg work vs play, you /really/ don't need to
generate another key. Just copy the keyring files from your first PC. But since
the emails address is the same, It'd be easier just to use your existing key(s).

> gpg: no writable public keyring found: eof
> Key generation failed: eof
> gpg: can't create `C:/GnuPG\random_seed': No such file or directory

Please run the GnuPG installer and accept the defaults for GnuPG's directory
placements. You'll have a *MUCH* easier time by doing so. Using C:\GnuPG is
great for Windows 95 and earlier. It's not so good for XP.

> *My path variable under mycomputer/properties/path is the following*
>
> %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;;"C:\Program
> Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier"
>
> Some people add the path ";c:\program files\GNU\GnuPG" after MailFrontier or
> whatever their path is set to, but I'm assuming that I don't need to do that
> because on my other computer it is setup with GnuPG and has the same path as
> mentioned above and still everything is ok.

You do need the PATH set if you intend to use GnuPG at the command prompt.

> I'm all out of ideas on how to fix this. I've googled all day and I found a
> few people with the same problem, but theres were in linux and mine is in
> Windows. The solution for linux was to make sure it had read and write
> access(something similar to that) and a few other things which looked pretty
> easy to fix by the way. I tried grabbing some of those hints and applying
> them to Windows, but it doesn't seem to work. It was at least worth a try
> tho......... smile.gif
>
> But so far I've found nothing related to Windows. That's about all the
> information I can think of right now.

Well, if you're using Thunderbird and GnuPG, it's safe to assume you're also
using Enigmail. Check the Enigmail site? There's a windows specific page there,
among others.

> PS, If there's a way to fix this, please inform me. Detailed instructions
> would be nice by the way.

Please see http://enigmail.mozdev.org/gpgconf.html  I believe it should be
detailed enough.

Short list: Run the GnuPG installer, accept the default locations, use your
existing keys.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:   John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. PGP/GPG KeyID: 0x608D2A10/0x18BB373A

"Just how do the residents of Haiku, Hawai'i hold conversations?"