sha2 utilities: Print or check SHA-2 digests

rmyster rmyster at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 18:40:54 CEST 2006

> > Still, does anyone know what the coreutils docs are referring to when it
> > implies that sha512 hashes can be obtained with a command called
> > "sha512sum" in the same manner of usage as md5sum and sha1sum?
> > (i.e "sha512sum file")
> Maybe you could try to tell us what version of coreutils do you have
> installed and what OS are you using, we don't have a magic ball to ask.
> Two of your headers:
> so I suppose you are using SuSE Linux, version 10.1 includes Evolution
> 2.6.0. Incidentally I am using the same version of this nice
> distribution, I have coreutils-5.93 here and there is no trace of sha2
> support in documentation.
>
> However you should have noticed that this is not a linux mailing list.
> - --
Yes, suse 10.1 with coreutils-5.93-20.  In the info manual, sha2 is
mentioned under section 6.6 (sha2 utilities) and all it says is
"The usage and options of these commands are precisely the same as for
`md5sum'."

While this isn't a linux mailing list, md5sum is part of gnupg.  The
closest other choice was the coreutils bug lists and this didn't seem
like a bug related question.  I'll take your hint and drop the topic.