SCM SPR 532 cardreader pinpad

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Mon Mar 27 17:56:35 CEST 2006

Hello,

I bought an OpenPGP card (from kernelconcepts.de) along with the SCM
SPR 532 cardreader, based on the remark in the HOWTO

"The pinpad may be used to securely enter the PIN without using the
attached computer."

In the HOWTO they refer to a patch that is no longer available; I couldn't find
it anywhere, but I suspect it's not needed for recent versions anyway.

Now, I won't document what I've all tried, since my question is pretty basic
and doesn't need a lot of explanation. I found a message on the archive of
this userlist:
http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2005-June/026082.html

Is this still true that the pinpad can not be used in GnuPG? If it can be used,
I'd appreciate a general hint in the right direction, and if I can't figure it out
then, I'll be back here with lots of detail :).

I must say the way it's phrased in the HOWTO is strange. The SPR 532 is
described with "pinpad may be used", and the Kobil KAAN Advanced with
"The keyboard is not yet supported by GnuPG". I honestly don't see much
difference in practical use when the supporting code in GnuPG is there but
not "connected" to the rest of GnuPG in the former case.

Greetings,

Peter Lebbing.